Metro North in it's infinite wisdom has two trains going to the same destination on adjoining tracks and the conductors don't seem to have much of an issue with telling folks where the train DOESN'T stop even though the equipment is identical.
I thought it was odd first when the train left Grand Central three minutes early but then at 125 th Street I heard the stops called out only to register my stop wasn't mentioned just as the doors had closed.
Now I know in a small sense what it is when a prisoner hears the door to a cell slamming behind them.
The funny thing in all if this is that although it is a truly beautiful ride up the Hudson to begin where my ass is currently parked, it only had the effect of making me exhausted as it sunk in that I wouldn't be home until 9pm.
Here I sit in the Beacon train station on a comfortable night looking out across the Hudson watching a sunset as it drops low in the sky against the backdrop of Newburgh.
And at this moment the train I was supposed to catch pulls up behind me with very few people getting off (surprise!). Meanwhile there's still another twenty five minute wait to go before the return train even arrives.
I guess it could be worse, it could be raining or it could be cold but I am so exhausted of late even this small indignity weighs heavy on me when my energy reserves are so very low.
I skipped a couple of days writing just due to exhaustion... weekends come and at least half of them are spent sleeping.
That's the reality of a grind but I do have work and for that I should be thankful because there have been too many times when work was in short supply and my worry was high. Given the choice between the two, being tired or being worried (and stressed) I have to say tired is likely the better option.



No comments:
Post a Comment